Saturday 11 January 2014

Matoi Sushi - Lunchtime Goodness

The rain is pouring, our stomachs are growling, it's time to find some lunch with the father and brother! We mutually agreed to pay a visit to Matoi Sushi, one of the better Japanese restaurants in the Tri-Cities.

Matoi Sushi opens for lunch at 11:30am, and we arrived just a few minutes after that. There were already two groups enjoying their lunch boxes when we walked through the door. The chef at the bar greeted us with a happy "irashaimase!" 

Miso Soup that came with our lunch sets

Once our order was put in, we were served the accompanying miso soup. Filled with MSG or not, it warms you up on a cold rainy day.

Grilled Marinated Black Cod lunch set ($11.50)
Ever since I first ate sablefish (aka black cod or butterfish) at Fleuri, the restaurant inside the Sutton Place Hotel, it has been my favourite type of fish. Super oily, moist, smooth, delicious...and expensive. I've been interested in trying the grilled black cod dishes at Japanese restaurants so I took the opportunity at Matoi Sushi to do so. I ordered the Grilled Marinated Black Cod Lunch off of today's BBQ Fish Lunch Special menu

Do not be too let down when the food arrives; the piece of fish may look tiny for $11 but remember, this stuff is like gold. I have to admit, my expectations where not too high, but I left the restaurant knowing I had discovered a new favourite. I appreciate that the piece of fish was mostly meat; I only picked out two or three bones. Although the fish was grilled, the texture slightly resembled smoked fish, laying in between grilled and candied. The naturally oily fish was kept moist as it should be. Nothing worse than overcooking a fish like sablefish or halibut. The marinated black cod was flavourful enough on its own to pair with plain white rice. I thoroughly enjoyed my precious piece of fish. When it's a small portion, I find that one can savour the experience better. Everything in moderation folks. 

The salad is composed of some mixed greens, a slice of tomato and a (I believe) house-made salad dressing. The texture is a bit grainy but it isn't greasy or too salty. A refreshing bite between eating the rich fish. My fish lunch set also came with a little bowl of cooked tuna and daikon radish in a savoury-sweet sauce, sprinkled with some sesame seeds. This little side dish was quite appetizing and I used it to eat my remaining white rice. Oh and see the little mound of wakame salad? I love eating this algae~

Bento Box C ($10.99)
This is the Bento Box C, consisting of 3 slices each of salmon and tuna sashimi, 2 slices of tamago egg (that looked a little grey-green...), choice of teriyaki (beef shown here), tempura, salad, and salmon gyoza (the special of the day). The waitress will ask you if you would like the bowl of rice that comes with the set. I assume that since the lunch box has so much food, many customers don't end up finishing the rice so asking might save them from wasting rice. 

It was my first time trying Matoi's sashimi and I must say, I am extremely impressed. The tuna literally melted in my mouth with zero effort! I don't usually like eating tuna sashimi, but this made me change my mind. It potentially could have been toro, the belly, which is very tender and soft. Their fresh and high quality sashimi makes me want to try their chirashi don!

I tried one piece of tempura, and it was a super thick piece of zucchini. The tempura dipping sauce is served steaming hot and after dipping my tempura into it, the coating went completely soggy. :(

I didn't try much of the teriyaki but it looked standard and a little bit on the wet side. My brother and dad each had one of the fried gyoza and were pleasantly surprised to find that it was filled with salmon! My dad thinks they may have been made in house.

Katsu Don ($8.99)
Recently, my dad and brother have really been into ordering Katsu Don at Japanese restaurants; I think they're on the hunt for one that matches up to the perfect one at Pioneer Saloon. Despite having a more complex preparation process, the katsu don came out pretty quick. The large bowl has a thick bed of rice with sauteed onions and a sweet-savoury sauce. I took a small bite of the katsu and it was fairly thick, tender, but no longer crispy since the egg and sauce soaked into the panko breading. It's kind of difficult to maintain a crispy katsu in a sauce-y rice so I won't deduct too many points. So enjoy the katsu don as soon as it is served!

Service was prompt up two when the restaurant is two-thirds full; there were two waitresses when we arrived and the head waitress came at around noon. The two younger waitresses that served us were very sweet and kind. They refilled our tea immediately after we asked and cleared our table once they saw we were done. As mentioned in my first post on Matoi Sushi, a small package of chocolate Pocky sticks accompanies the bill. A small but appreciated gesture, sure to make younger children (or those young at heart) happy. I will surely return to Matoi Sushi for more quality, yet affordable, Japanese food.

Note that they are closed on Mondays.

Matoi Sushi on Urbanspoon

Love from Coconut Crumpet's Corner ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment