Friday 30 August 2013

Whistler Sunday Farmer's Market

I love farmer's markets. Brightly coloured produce, unique goods, and happy locals make it a very pleasant way to purchase groceries or just kill time. It also makes for a fun activity when on vacation, especially if a kitchen is available to use where you're staying. After my trip to Honolulu, I make sure to drag my family to a farmer's market if there is one in the city we're visiting. Okay, I failed to do so in Los Angeles but...

Follow the Whistler Sunday Farmer's Market sign!
On this sunny Sunday (ain't called Sunday for no reason!), I marched my family to the base of Blackcomb Mountain to visit the farmer's market. Since we were staying in a vacation condo and often cooked or barbequed our meals, I had an excuse to actually buy produce. I told my mom to only pack as much food as we needed for the first two days so we could spontaneously purchase groceries to cook dinner on Sunday. We bought corn for grilling, which is the most delicious way to eat corn on the cob, baby summer squash, and blackberries for munching. The corn was pretty expensive, but not many stands sold it. I believe we bought it for 50 cents each or a little bit more than that. The summer squash was about $2 a pound. The blackberries were of the best value; $4 for a heaping paper basket of giant, plump, fresh, blackberries. The blackberry season just started and first of the crop is always the best. 

Fresh Local Berries

At the very end of the market, there is a stand that sells blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, and strawberries for 3 for $10, which is the cheapest at the market. They were out of raspberries when I passed by at 11:30am and said another shipment would arrive in the afternoon. I would recommend purchasing at this stand if you're interested in buying local berries from Pemberton.

Baked Samosas (Top: Pemerton Potatoes, Bottom: Yam)

Besides fruits and vegetables, we also bought a few prepared goodies to try during dinner that night. Our first purchase was two baked samosas from an Indian-owned stand. We got one with yam and veggies and another one similar but featuring Pemberton-grown potatoes instead of yam. Both were vegan and served with mango chutney. When we were paying for the samosas, another couple (who I believe were also Indian) came by to pick up two to take with them on a hike. They turned to us and said "These are the best samosas ever!" Our samosas were part of dinner that night, reheated in the oven and cut into four sections so each of us could try both. Unfortunately, my family didn't really enjoy these as they were very dry. The mango chutney was thick and sticky so it wasn't convenient to spread or dip. I appreciate that there are many healthy vegetables in these and are baked instead of fried, but I think I would rather put my three or so dollars to try something else. 

Fruit Pocket Pies

Dessert that night was purchased from a stand selling square-shaped, fruit-filled pocket pies at the very end of the market. We chose the blackberry version. I believe they were $5..? This pie was so delicious. The blackberry filling was prominent and not too sweet, and the crust was super flaky. It was a large enough pie to share between four people and each get a two inch square. Highly recommend eating this pie warm, and maybe with a scoop of vanilla ice cream ;) Or you can gobble this up on the spot right after buying it, that works too.

Aussie Pie

On the way out of the market, a stand selling Australian hand pies caught my mother's eye. She said we didn't have enough food for dinner and wanted to pick up one more food item to share. We had quite the difficult time deciding which flavour to get but ended up settling for the original. It was also around $5. We saw many people eating them while strolling through the market. They are sold hot and ready-to-eat or cooked but cooled down to bring home and heat through when you wish to eat it. We got the later one since it would be a good half a day before we would eat it. The original aussie pie is filled with ground beef. The size of the double-crusted pie is slightly larger than a muffin. This was actually really tasty! The filling was well seasoned and the crust was super, super, super, super, SUPER soft, tender, and buttery. The whole thing was melt-in-my-mouth. I don't know how many calories one quarter of that pie had, and I don't want to know, but I do know it was worth trying. I know there is a food truck in Vancouver that sells aussie pies, and I'm curious to know if the pies are similar. Hmm...must find a time to give it a try...

At the Sunday Farmer's Market in Whistler, there is everything from produce stands, ice cream, baked goods, stone oven pizza, artwork, dog treats, onomoyaki, plenty of food samples, and live music. I remember stopping to try goat cheese (which I actually tried the exact stand at the Winter Farmer's Market in Vancouver), looking at leather bibs for babies, eating root chips, and looking at a rainbow of carrots, beets, and chard. My family was blessed with beautiful weather during our time in Whistler and the farmer's market was a good place to take advantage of the nice weather. The Whistler Farmer's Market is a great place for foodies and families to visit. The market also happens on Wednesday, if you're not around on Sunday. 

Love from Coconut Crumpet's Corner ♡

No comments:

Post a Comment