Monday 6 May 2013

Mango Coconut Mac-nut Bread

Mango Coconut Macadamia Nut Bread and the star ingredients
We have been experiencing near 30 degree weather; summer is near, summer is near! As you may already know, my mood is heavily influenced by the weather. Sunny days make me very happy, which aids me through a week of tests at school. On weekends, it is my time to relax and take a break.

A weekend is not complete without doing some baking (but it can be complete without studying biology...-guilty-). This loaf is my attempt at packing Hawaii into a pan. Hawaii is truly paradise, and I am eager to return there. But for now, this loaf will have to do. 

These Hawaiian flavours are the perfect way to start the summer season. Might I mention is very healthy? Low in sugar, high in fibre, just a smidgen of healthy fat. My 'Rachel-fication' was dead on this time, not to toot my own horn or anything...
Raw Macadamia Nuts
This nutty crumpet -points at self- personally brought these baking macadamia nuts back from Hawaii. A bag of 4 cups is only about ten dollars at the Costco in Honolulu. Half a cup is plenty for this whole loaf as there are a lot of 'filings'.

Diced Mexican Mangoes

The next star ingredient is mangoes! I have used Mexican mangoes for this particular batch. I personally prefer Philippine mangoes as they are sweeter and have less 'roots'. Unfortunately my family gobbled up all those mangoes before I had the chance to make this. However my mom brought a flat of 9 large Mexican mangoes for only seven dollars! Now I can eat fresh mangoes and bake with them at the same time, mwahahaha! 




Mango Coconut Mac-nut batter ready to enter the oven!
And of course, being Coconut Crumpet, I can't let you make this recipe without some coconut in it. There are 3 coconut components in this recipe: coconut oil, coconut shreds, and coconut milk. All of which should be relatively common in grocery stores these days.

Let's begin!


Mango Coconut Macadamia Nut Bread
Mango Coconut Macadamia Nut Bread
Adapted from Fit Mama Real Food
Yield: 1 8"x4" loaf

Ingredients

  • ½ cup all purpose flour
  • ¼ cup whole wheat flour
  • ¼ cup ground flax seeds
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • A pinch of salt
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp coconut oil, melted
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 mango, diced (approximately 1 cup)
  • ½ cup coconut milk
  • ¼ cup unsweetened medium-flake shredded coconut, toasted*
  • ½ cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped and toasted**
  • Sweetened large-flake shredded coconut for topping, not toasted
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients except large flake coconut.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients until smooth.
  4. Add all dry ingredients, mangoes, toasted coconut, and mac-nuts into wet and fold until combined. Do not over mix.
  5. Pour batter into pan (it will seem liquidly but its ok!) and top with large flaked coconut. Cover pan with aluminum foil. 
  6. Bake covered for 25 minutes and uncover for the 15 more minutes. If top is not toasted enough, broil for 3 minutes.
  7. Cool completely before removing from pan and slicing.
  8. Enjoy with some ice cream if desired ;) 
*Please refer to this post for instructions on how to toast shredded coconut.
**I have not mastered toasting these nuts yet. 350°F was too hot and I nearly burnt them! Use a lower temperature and keep a close eye on them. 

Love from Coconut Crumpet's Corner ♡ 

No comments:

Post a Comment